With K.Sutherland PR headquartered on the West Coast- we cannot even imagine the devastation and destruction our friends and clients back east are experiencing. We are sending many positive thoughts your way and hope that you are safe, that your friends are safe and that all those affected are safe…including your pets.
We represent a variety of lifestyle brands, including pet brands and our client, Thundershirt has some tips and information to keep in mind should you and your pets encounter treacherous weather.
First, a little bit about how Thundershirt can help:
Since 2009, the Thundershirt has been reducing anxiety among hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats around the world. Thundershirt has conducted extensive research on the prevalence and effects of pet anxiety, particularly related to storm season. With its patent-pending design, Thundershirt’s gentle, constant pressure has a dramatic calming effect for dogs and cats if they are anxious or fearful. Anxiety experts believe that pressure has a calming effect on the nervous system and may release calming hormones like endorphins or oxytocins.
Pet owners should also keep the following in mind during this storm season:
- A permanent pet ID such as microchip is advised to help you locate your pet in case they get lost
- Keep pets inside and monitor them when the go out for bathroom breaks, at times, storms can spook pets into running away.
- Photograph each pet and store these pictures with other important documents in sealed/waterproof plastic bags.
- Make sure that your pets are up-to-date on their vaccinations. If your pet needs to be boarded, kennels typically require proof of current vaccinations.
- During a storm, you can play pet-friendly, classical music, or even run a load of dishes or laundry. The calming or familiar noise may be relaxing to your pets.
- Also, have your pets’ favorite toy, blanket and/or bed nearby during a severe storm.
- Try not to scold a scare pet as it may confuse them and reinforce fearful behaviors.
Featured Image Via